Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Getting Out of the Boat

I like Peter. He was just a guy, ya know? A sort of “open mouth, insert foot” kind of guy. I bet he was thinking something like that when he saw Jesus walking across the water to the boat the disciples were in and said, “Lord, if it's you tell me to come to you on the water” (Matthew 14:28). After he said it I can imagine him biting his tongue and thinking, “Why the heck did I just say that?!” I mean, getting out of a boat into turbulent waters to walk to this guy who is standing on top of the water telling you to go over to him is a bit crazy, right? And scary! But Peter had to put his money where his mouth was, so he got out of the boat and started walking on the water towards Jesus, “But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!'” Fortunately for Peter, Jesus immediately reached out and saved him from drowning. Then Jesus told him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got back in the boat the wind died down and everyone worshiped Jesus.

Maybe your boat looks more like this ;)
I've been thinking about this account a lot recently. We all have a boat...maybe a yacht, maybe a leaky canoe...but that boat sure feels good when we're out in the water and there's a lot of wind and waves. I feel comfortable in my house, with my family, things I know, people I know, places I know, safety. It's a good place to be, right? Well, I think the Lord gives good things to His children, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the familiar and comfortable. But sometimes He wants us to take a risk...sometimes He calls us to get out of the boat and walk on water. That's the first big step; actually getting out of the boat. So there you are, standing on water, perhaps a little wobbly, but you made the decision to obey and have taken a leap of faith. You keep your eyes on Jesus and start walking towards him, amazed at how you are not sinking. And then the word “sinking” becomes a little clearer in your mind and you start wondering what's going on around you...you see the waves, you feel the wind buffeting your clothes, the water splashes you, and maybe there's a great white shark swimming around you in circles (eek!!). You take your eyes off of Jesus and all of a sudden you aren't floating anymore, but sinking in despair and fear. That great white is thinking he's going to have a tasty snack! You cry out to Jesus to save you...and He does! Jesus didn't tell Peter, “You know, I'm kind of disappointed that you looked away so I'm going to let you keep sinking until the last possible moment and make you wonder if I'm going to save you.” No, he immediately reached out and took Peter's hand.

Making a decision to be a missionary in Germany was definitely a getting out of the boat decision for me. And now it's a matter of keeping my eyes on Jesus. There are so many things to distract me, to pull me down. I'll admit that sometimes those waves look pretty intimidating, and I start to feel the water rising around me. I'm so grateful that Jesus is there to grab my hand and pull me up as soon as I cry out to Him to save me. I have a feeling that I'll be doing a fair bit of crying out to Jesus over the next couple years, but what a beautiful gift to have such a Savior. While I pray that my faith will be strengthened and that I would look away less and less, even when I do start to sink and have to be saved I end up in the same state as the disciples on the boat were...worship.

Psalm 105:1-4
Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

1 comment: