Monday, June 11, 2012

In Other News...


Hola amigos!

Yes, I am moving to Germany, no I don't speak German, yes I do speak Spanish. Make sense? Haha. One of my friends picked up a book in Germany when she was there a few years ago, and I've decided that I am going to use it as my source of German language-learning. See picture ;)

Well the dessert at my friend's house on June 2 was good. We had German Chocolate Cake, Black Forest Pie, and German-made chocolate and cookies from Aldi...yummo! Good time of talking about Germany and having fellowship. I'm grateful for the interest and prayers! The day after that I had the first real day of working the coffee bar at church, which was a little hectic but great! I love getting to talk to folks and greeting them with a smile and a hot cup of coffee. I also got to talk to Sunday School classes for a couple minutes during a brunch and let them know a little more about what I'll be doing at BFA. My apologies for the shortness of breath when I speak in front of people...it's just one of those silly physiological reactions to public speaking...I promise I'm fine and don't need a medic. ;) Please continue to pray for partners in the ministry with me. I am so very thankful for the generosity that has been shown so far and am excited to share this experience and work with you! I need to be at 90% of monthly support in order to leave for the field in August, so every little bit helps! Please contact me if you are interested in partnering with me in this. You can comment below, send me an email at mpeters@teachbeyond.org, send me a facebook message, call me, skype me, etc! I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have and tell you more about the ministry.

Lots of travel plans for this summer! I'll be in Texas and Minnesota this month and then Alabama, California, and Colorado in July. And then on to Germany in August! Lots of places to be and things to do! I'm excited about seeing loads of people, though, before I leave. It will be a good time of visiting and sharing! Orientation for TeachBeyond is in Minneapolis at the end of this month, and I'm really looking forward to meeting the other new members of the mission. I've gotten to know a few other girls that are going to work at BFA through emails, and that has been a blessing! I actually met another girl at church yesterday who is going to be an RA at BFA as well...she was visiting the church with a friend and came over by the coffee bar, and we made the connection! Fun! I think God's putting together a great team!

Buffalo River, right in front of our campsite
Camping friends, about to hit the trail
This last weekend I had the opportunity to go backpacking and camping with a few friends. It was awesome! I've been camping and hiking many times, but never together like that...hiking into the Buffalo River Valley with all our stuff on our backs, camping right next to the river, and then hiking out with everything the next day. Some little critter kept running off with some of our stuff, but we eventually found some of it in the brush. At night when I was trying to sleep there were many strange animal sounds, some of them extremely close to my head (as in if I turned my head and looked out the screen I would have been eye-to-eye with Mr. Opossum...which is why I didn't turn my head and look out the screen!!), but thanks to an amazing sleeping pad that a friend let me borrow I had one of the best sleeps I've ever had while camping! It was so nice to get out of town, enjoy the beautiful scenery, have sweet time with 
friends, and just breathe a little. God is so good!

Romans 8:35, 37
“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? [...] No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”

3 comments:

  1. How crazy that you met someone else who's going to BFA as well! It's a small world after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, Melissa! I just heard this morning of someone else who's going to BFA this fall, a girl named Callie from Little Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's cool cause there are quite a few people from Arkansas going to BFA or Germany with TeachBeyond this year. Way to go, Arkansans! :)

    ReplyDelete